Woohoo! After 5.5 years, I have finally finished all my classes at UBC. This past term, I only took two classes in a Philosophy class about logic and an introduction class to Computer Security. It was an overall easy and relaxing term and ended up with a 90% average. Not a bad way to finish off! I have wait till May for covocation and then I'll be officially done with my undergrad. While my ugrad GPA is not extremely high, I'm proud of the fact that I did better and better each term after second year and ended up with the last 4 academic terms with straight A's. One thing I wished I knew earlier, at least before the start of my undergrad, is that GPAs don't bother all that much. I'm not saying to tank the grades but there wasn't a need to repeatedly stress over that midterm or final exam of having to do really well. The general idea of doing well in school is that it would lead to successful careers and to earn a solid salary. Quite honestly, having a good GPA does not lead to a better career in many cases (most of my employers have not seen my transcript) and heck, even getting a solid income does not lead to happiness. I find it amusing that many of my fellow friends almost live life to earn money in order to buy physical goods that will be rendered useless in a short period of time.
Enough of my rambling. I have been picking up Badminton in the past 2 months and it's been a fun experience. Why do I say that? I played a bit back when I was in high school but I was atrocious. I was bad not because I wasn't trying but it was due to the fact that I had no one to learn from and I wasn't going to improve without any proper coaching. On top of that, I didn't have proper shoes or anything better than a $20 racquet and I was literally going nowhere. I decided to focus on ultimate back then. However, now that I am quite free with lots of time and my sister has nicely let me use her Badminton equipment, I decided to enrol myself into Badminton lessons. I have only taken 8 classes and it has made an extreme difference. It's a fun sport but at the rate I'm going, I think I would peak soon by not finding enough competition unless I want to keep playing mixed doubles which I find quite uninteresting. This lead me to realize how awesome club ultimate is due to the fact that it's a team sport with a proper structured season and 'something' to actually compete for. Well, technically badminton has that too except you'll probably need to pay $30k and be extremely good.
What's next? I'm first heading to Hong Kong next week. It's been a good 12 years since I've been back and so I am very excited. I'll be back in April and I don't have too much planned then! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment